MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Router & Proxy

Some R/W splitting clarification
Posted by: Vincent Voyer
Date: December 13, 2007 09:35AM

I managed to get rw-splitting working but there's some more questions coming to my mind now ! : (see bottom for how I set up rw-splitting)

What does the max_idle and min_idle variables (default 8 and 4) in rw-splitting.lua do ? I dont really get it...
I see that if I connect more than 4-5 clients to the proxy, I'm automatically redirected to a slave (for SELECT'S) so I guess min_idle is for that.
But what max_idle means ?

Having multiple slaves is good but how do the proxy chooses to take the client from one slave to another ? If there's a lot of people on one slave will the proxy redirects others to the second slave ? And if yes, is there a setting for this ? (Like a "max_slave_clients=4000)

Is it possible to add several master servers ? (for INSERT'S and UPDATE'S) And if yes i guess the command is : --proxy-backend-addresses=:3306 --proxy-backend-addresses=:3309 ...
But then same question as 2., how do the proxy will say "you go to master1" "you go to master2" ?

I think it's the connexion pool concept that I must understand better. And the two parameters min_idle, max_idle.

EDIT : i foud this : http://forge.mysql.com/w/images/d/dd/MySQL-Proxy.pdf which explains a lot of things but i'm stuck with min_idle and max_idle... !

The good part : "HOW TO SET U MYSQL-PROXY" (how I did it ..) :
Hello, I saw a list of problems with r/w splitting on the forums.
I kind of managed to get it work as expected :
I use latest mysql-proxy version (fedora 4.0 bin from the downloads)
I use lastest rw-splitting.lu from the svn (http://svn.mysql.com/svnpublic/mysql-proxy/trunk/lib/rw-splitting.lua)
The command to launch my server is : (pwd included)
[root@xxxx sbin]# pwd
/root/proxy/mysql-proxy-0.6.0-linux-fc4-x86/sbin
[root@xxxx sbin]# LUA_PATH="../share/mysql-proxy/?.lua" ./mysql-proxy --proxy-lua-script=../share/mysql-proxy/rw-splitting.lua --proxy-backend-addresses=:3306 --proxy-read-only-backend-addresses=:3307 --proxy-read-only-backend-addresses=:3308

I use rinetd to redirect ports :3307 and :3308 to the slaves real ip adresses.

Then choose a mysql client and connect to the proxy :
mysql --host=proxyip --port=4040 -p -u youruser

You MUST have youruser@proxyip having privileges on EACH slaves mysql users privileges

I did it for some time and with only one client it "doesn't" work AS EXPECTED but connect more than 5 clients and you'll see that the connection id you get doesnt follow the last you had. If you do a select you'll then always get on the slaves and insert or updates will get you on the master.

Then this is a bit magic because you don't really know why you get on slave 1 or 2 or 3 ... But it works ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2007 09:49AM by Vincent Voyer.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Some R/W splitting clarification
December 13, 2007 09:35AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.