MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

can't migrate sql server database
Posted by: tracy walker
Date: July 27, 2019 06:01PM

hello,
i have an sql server database that i need to bring into mysql, in the easiest way possible.

i tried using the migration wizard, but i get the following error message when i clicked the test connection button.

could not connect to source dbms
sql server native client 11.0
login failed for user
odbc connection string driver = sql server native client 11.0
server = localhost datab... pwd=your password

this is what i entered to connect to the sql server:
database system - microsoft sql server
connection method - odbc (native)
driver - SQL Server Native Client 11.0
server - used localhost, which is the server name on the ssms login screen
username - used name on the ssms login screen
password - i don't use one in ssms
the sql database is local

i don't know what i did something wrong, and don't know what information actually needs to be filled in.

i went through the online manual/documentation, but did not see step by step information for importing/migrating a sql server database. by that i mean, what i saw, did not show which fields on the wizard need to be filled in and what the acceptable parameters are.

in case you haven't figured it out, this is my 2nd day of trying to learn and use mysql. <smile>

i have sql server 2016 and ssms 2017 installed.
i have the latest version of mysql and mysql workbench community installed.

once i figure out how to migrate the db,
i don't know if this matters, but the tables in my sql server db have a schema.
the db has 10 tables and 2 views, which i would also need to import.

i haven't done it in a while, but i know that sql server has an option to create a script that will recreate tables and load the data. if i create that sql script, will the script run in mysql workbench?

i can get the tables and data in my sql server database into excel, if that would be easier. i did not see any instructions from importing multiple sheets in an excel file into mysql, so i don't even know if that is possible.

any help would be greatly appreciated
thank you

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
can't migrate sql server database
July 27, 2019 06:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.