MySQL Installer 1.4.27.0 (MySQL v8.0.13) upgrade issues with datadir
Posted by: Ryan L
Date: November 05, 2018 08:47PM

Windows Server 2012 R2
Installed version: MySQL Community 8.0.12
Intended Upgrade Version: MySQL Community 8.0.13

I am willing to report a bug, but thought I would ask around first here to see if I am missing something with MySQL server and non-default datadir settings.

I am seeing weird issues with MySQL installer and wondering if others have found this as an issue in version 8.0 or even previous versions.

Issue #1: With a mounted drive in Windows (Volume mounted directly into C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 8.0\data) the MySQL Installer will fail to upgrade the server with the JIT error, "Access Denied to C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 8.0\data\System Volume Information"

By providing the correct permissions (via Microsoft Article) to allow access to the System Volume Information folder the installer exhibits weird behavior. During the installation the Volume is unmounted and the previously empty directory is installed to as if the server had never been run before, creating a new mysql and information_schema and forcing the user to reconfigure the server including setting the new root password and trying to get the user to create a new MySQL80 service because one already exists.

Issue #2: If the DataDir is set to E:\Data in the my.ini, again the MySQL Installer does not use the my.ini that is currently configured to have a datadir of E:\Data, and creates a new database Schema in C:\ProgramData\MySQL Server 8.0\data and has the user reconfigure the server and tries to create a new service.

Question 1: Has anyone noticed that all? Setting the Data Directory to a mounted drive on windows may be odd, but seeing the behavior in Issue #2 with a separate volume and separate Drive Path seems really irregular.

Question 2: Is there a setting for the MySQL installer to honor the my.ini and configured datadir within that location?

Workarounds:
1. In-place upgrade
2. Cancel the installer at the point of reconfiguration and run the mysql_upgrade manually.

Thanks,
Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MySQL Installer 1.4.27.0 (MySQL v8.0.13) upgrade issues with datadir
November 05, 2018 08:47PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.