MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL for Excel

Problem editing MySQL table due to foreign keys.
Posted by: G C
Date: January 03, 2013 04:30PM

Hi,

I downloaded MySQL for Excel to be able to edit my database on my web hosting server. A database table I need to edit has some columns with foreign keys which prevents me from doing the edits in PhpMyAdmin. In PhpMyAdmin I normally would export a table, make the edits in Excel, then empty the table, and import the edited table data. But the foreign keys in one of my tables prevents me from being able to do that in PhpMyAdmin since it gives a "cannot truncate" error message.

I'm having the same problem with MySQL for Excel. There is one column of text in this database table that I need to edit. I can use the "Import MySQL Data" option of MySQL for Excel to select and open the one table column in Excel. But I need to edit the data, not append (add new rows of data) to the table.
I cannot use the "Edit MySQL Data" option since I get an error message that says: "Unrecognized Guid format" (I think the column with the foreign keys is titled "guid"). I also cannot select the one table column to open/edit with the "Edit MySQL Data" option since the window that opens does not enable me to select individual columns (it has all the columns selected and I cannot scroll to view the columns to the right of the visible window.

I don't know much about MySQL so I was hoping someone would have advice on how I can edit a MySQL database table when the foreign keys data of some of the table columns are blocking me from doing the edits the normal ways.

I downloaded the MySQL Workbench but I don't know how to write scripts to make the edits.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is the MySQL page that I got the downloads from: http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/windows/

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Problem editing MySQL table due to foreign keys.
G C
January 03, 2013 04:30PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.