MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Indexing questions
Posted by: Erick Papadakis
Date: November 08, 2006 07:01AM

Hi,

I am using MySQL 5.0.24. My indexing does not seem to be working.

I have a table of about 300,000 rows and a query that supposedly uses "Using where; using Index" is still taking 1.3 seconds and times like that! The database is running on SCSI disks with 2 GB of memory!

My SQL statments are something like these:

1. SELECT col1 FROM table1 WHERE col1 = x AND col2 = y AND col3 = z
2. SELECT col1 FROM table1 WHERE col3 = z
3. SELECT col1 FROM table1 WHERE col2 = y
4. SELECT col1 FROM table1 WHERE col1 = x AND col3 = z
5. SELECT col1 FROM table1 WHERE col1 = x AND col2 = y AND col4 = z

I have set the index as (col1, col2, col3, col4)

From my understanding, all of the above statements should be covered by this index? WHat am I missing?

Here is an actual EXPLAIN statement and then the execution of the SQL. I have replaced the names of columns and the table for privacy, but the numbers are as-is.

mysql> explain select count(*) from table1 where col1 = 1 and col2 = 'X' ;
+----+-------------+---------+------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------------+---------+-------------+--------+--------------------------+
| id | select_type | table   | type | possible_keys                                         | key           | key_len | ref         | rows   | Extra                    |
+----+-------------+---------+------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------------+---------+-------------+--------+--------------------------+
|  1 | SIMPLE      | table1 | ref  | col1_2,col1,col1_3,col1_4 | col1_3 | 10      | const,const | 219707 | Using where; Using index |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from table1 where col1 = 1 and col2 = 'X' ;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|   248348 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.32 sec)

I think 0.32 seconds on something that is using an index on my kind of hardware is unacceptable! In other databases, I see response times like 0.001 seconds on tables with 1.5 million rows! What could be wrong? What kinds of things can I look at?

Many thanks
.ep

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Indexing questions
November 08, 2006 07:01AM
November 08, 2006 08:07AM
November 08, 2006 09:36AM
November 08, 2006 09:58AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.