MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

trying to move a database from mysql 4.0.18 to 5.0.77
Posted by: Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
Date: October 26, 2009 07:38AM

Hi,
I'm trying to move a database from mysql 4.0.18 to 5.0.77 but I'm running into charset trouble. The 5.0 database is a standard centos 5 setup and i'm trying to dump the data from the 4.0 db directly into the 5.0 db using "mysqldump -hold.host.com ... | mysql ...". This works with regards to the data but when the column contains an umlaut or other non-ascii character then I get a "Invalid utf8 character string: '�`" error.

My problem is that I have no idea why umlauts in the data are transfered correctly but umlauts in the column names are not. I tried using the "default-character-set" and "set-character" set option with mysqldump with various combinations of character sets and "skip-*" combinations but none of that changes the output of mysqldump at all. For example the "set-charset" option doesn't add a "SET NAMES" as the documentation claims it does.

What do I have to specify to copy the database "as is"?

These are the character set variables on the 5.0 system:
character_set_client: latin1
character_set_connection: latin1
character_set_database: latin1
character_set_filesystem: binary
character_set_results: latin1
character_set_server: latin1
character_set_system: utf8
character_sets_dir: /usr/share/mysql/charsets/

and the 4.0 system:
character_set: latin1
character_sets: latin1 big5 czech euc_kr gb2312 gbk latin1_de sjis tis620 ujis dec8 dos german1 hp8 koi8_ru latin2 swe7 usa7 cp1251 danish hebrew win1251 estonia hungarian koi8_ukr win1251ukr greek win1250 croat cp1257 latin5
convert_character_set:

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
trying to move a database from mysql 4.0.18 to 5.0.77
October 26, 2009 07:38AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.