MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: LEFT JOIN - loosing a line from LEFT table selection
Posted by: Peter Brawley
Date: April 28, 2014 11:06AM

> I was surprised about the mess the forum created in my post...

Why the forum owners don't post this info where everyone can always see it, I don't know, but to format code here, use BBCode code tags.

Before version 5.7.3, JOIN outperforms IN(SELECT...). And as RJ says, Coalesce() is way easier to read & maintain than nested IfNull()s. So ...

SELECT  
  Coalesce( t4.ItemID, t3.ItemID, t2.ItemID, t1.ItemID )                         AS ID,
  Coalescet t4.ParentItemID, t3.ParentItemID, t2.ParentItemID, t1.ParentItemID ) AS Parent,
  Coalesce( tp4.ItemNo, tp3.ItemNo, tp2.ItemNo, tp1.ItemNo )                     AS ItemNo
FROM      ItemsParents       AS t1                                
JOIN      ItemsDB   AS items ON t1.parentID = items.itemNoInt     -- replace Where In(Select...)
LEFT JOIN ItemsDB     AS tP1 ON t1.ItemID   = tP1.ID
LEFT JOIN ItemsParents AS t2 ON t1.ItemID   = t2.ParentItemID 
LEFT JOIN ItemsDB     AS tP2 ON t2.ItemID   = tP2.ID
LEFT JOIN ItemsParents AS t3 ON t2.ItemID   = t3.ParentItemID 
LEFT JOIN ItemsDB     AS tP3 ON t3.ItemID   = tP3.ID
LEFT JOIN ItemsParents AS t4 ON t3.ItemID   = t4.ParentItemID 
LEFT JOIN ItemsDB     AS tP4 ON t4.ItemID   = tP4.ID;

It's an awfully cumbersome way to traverse a tree. And for every additional child node level, you have to add terms to the Selects and add two more Left Joins. Yikes. Are you sure you wouldn't prefer a straightforward edge list ancestor query like listing 7e at http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1ch20.html ?

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.