MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: Rank MySQL results after joining with another table, then filtering them by a condition
Posted by: Peter Brawley
Date: May 24, 2017 03:56PM

Many problems with that query, eg the mixing of comma join and explicit join syntax, and the absurdity of left joining on 1 then adding Where conditions on the joined table, effectively turning the left join into a cross join with conditions, logical mayhem.

...FROM scores s, (SELECT @rownum := 0) r LEFT JOIN accounts a ON 1 WHERE...

As the manual says, don't mix comma join and explicit join syntax, such syntactic confusion can produce anomalous results. Use explicit join syntax throughout---it's guaranteed to behave correctly, easier to write, easier to debug, easier to maintain.

Without a built-in func like MSSQL's Rank(), it's best to start by precomputing rank in a tmp table ...

drop temporary table if exists score_ranked;
set @i=0;
create temporary table score_ranked
select user_id, score, @i:=@i+1 as rank
from scores
order by score desc;

Once the whole query is debugged, it might be possible to optimise away the tmp table. Meanwhile, getting the full result you need by joining with an accounts table and filtering is straightforward, eg ...

select a.id, a.username, a.country, s.score, s.rank 
from score_ranked s
join accounts     a on a.id=s.user_id
where a.age between 18 and 35
  and a.gender='m'
  and s.rank between 0 and 10
order by s.score desc;

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Rank MySQL results after joining with another table, then filtering them by a condition
May 24, 2017 03:56PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.