MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: Memory problem in Win 98 (SE and ME)
Posted by: Peter E. C. Dashwood
Date: November 30, 2004 06:06AM

Mike Hillyer wrote:
> Try connecting a Win98 client to a WinXP copy of
> MySQL and see if the problem persists. If you
> still have the error, the problem is with your
> client application, if you do not have the error,
> the problem is with MySQL.
>

I REALLY didn't want to go back to MS ACCESS ;-) so I invested some more time in looking at this problem.

I was able to track the SQL through a number of succesful calls until it finally fell over on this embedded SQL statement:

EXEC SQL
SELECT ClientID
FROM CliNotes
WHERE (ClientID = :ClientID) AND
(TypeOfNote = '2') AND
(NoteID = 1)
END-EXEC

This works fine on XP but gives an "Insufficient memory to perform SQL" in Win98 and ME using Fujitsu PowerCOBOL version 6.1

I noticed that there was no host variable provided for the returned ClientID (because I'm not really interested in it, I just want to know if there are any notes of this type for this Client... come to think of it, I could have used a COUNT function...)

Anyway, I added a host variable to hold the returned ClientID as follows:

EXEC SQL
SELECT ClientID
INTO :c04-ClientiD
FROM CliNotes
WHERE (ClientID = :ClientID) AND
(TypeOfNote = '2') AND
(NoteID = 1)
END-EXEC

...and...PRESTO! Everything works on all platforms...(Hooray!!!)

I have no idea what caused this "error", I suspect it may be some sensitivity in MyODBC, or perhaps it is a gap in my understanding of SQL. It works fine under MS ACCESS using the MS ODBC driver, but, thankfully, I don't need to use that any more.

Posted here in case anyone else hits a similar problem, and thanks to Mike for support and suggestions.

Pete.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Memory problem in Win 98 (SE and ME)
November 30, 2004 06:06AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.