MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: selecting distinct records with group max value
Posted by: Tom Byars
Date: May 17, 2006 03:59PM

Peter, I'm confused here. Are the rows in your last example accessed in the 'order by' order? I was aware that if you done an update query on a table and the query had an 'order by' clause then the rows would be updated in 'order by' order but, I thought your example wouldn't work because the order by wouldn't be performed until after all the rows were fetched. I assume I was wrong as your example does work.

I say it works but, shouldn't the order by clause read
order by fld1, val desc, fld2, fld3
to ensure it sets sel>0 for the FIRST row (with respect to Primary index) in the group with val=max(val)?

And why doesn't this yield the same table minus the Sel=0 rows?

DROP TEMPORARY TABLE IF EXISTS tmp;
SET @prev = -1;
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmp
SELECT
fld1, fld2, fld3, val
WHERE IF( fld1 = @prev, 0, @prev := fld1)>0
FROM tbl
ORDER BY fld1 ASC, val DESC;

Regardless of that it's as slow as the example I gave you in my last post since it involves having to insert the whole table. I guess whatever solution I use it's going to be slow because of the ordering so I won't ask you to waste any more time on it aside,hopefully, from answering the above questions.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.