MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: Fastest way to find if any rows match
Posted by: Jan Hansen
Date: May 18, 2006 11:51AM

Bill, you've been helping me out with questions related to this in the Performance area, so some of this will be familiar. This is the output from EXPLAIN SELECT.

mysql> EXPLAIN SELECT COUNT(current) FROM sentences WHERE current LIKE 'with%';
+----+-------------+-------------+-------+---------------+------------+---------+------+--------+-------------+
| id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra |
+----+-------------+-------------+-------+---------------+------------+---------+------+--------+-------------+
| 1 | SIMPLE | sentences | range | current | current | 32 | NULL | 93028 | Using where |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

As you can see, it does indeed use the index, and the 'key_buffer_size' is set to somewhat larger than the size of the 'sentences.MYI' file, which should mean it is able to hold the entire index. Preloading the index using LOAD INDEX INTO CACHE, following your suggestion, doesn't seem to make any useful difference, unfortunately - the query is still taking several minutes to complete. I'm going to try ANALYZE TABLE and OPTIMIZE TABLE next to see if that makes a difference.

In this thread I was just trying to determine if there was another way of doing this withou hitting the COUNT problem.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Fastest way to find if any rows match
May 18, 2006 11:51AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.