MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Re: myisamchk sorting records descending
Posted by: JJWR
Date: May 09, 2005 10:25AM

>If you have a suitable key you might try using a where in the select and processing
>many batches, perhaps one for each letter of the alphabet.
I am not sure if I understood well. I can divide the table in various parts concerning a key, but as far as I know I can not query the database using 2 keys (this and the full text key), also I think it will be very slow to join all the results and sort them…

>If you can keep the size of the records within the amount of RAM you have left to the
>operating system for caching MyISAM data that could be significantly faster.
Unfortunately I can’t, the server has only 512 MB RAM, I can not buy more RAM since this is a rented server… the database size is 560 MB of data + 1.2 GB indexes.

>If it's worth it for your application you could do something like sorting on a slave with
>replication stopped then turning on replication so the slave catches up and finally
>copying the files to the main system. Not a nice approach but it's one way to get things
>done if the benefit is worth it.
This is stand alone rented server on the Internet, I would do very slow replication with a server at my office, but since I can not transfer more than a limited number of MB at month this is not viable.

>If you say more about the size of the data and indexes for this table on disk and say
>how much RAM you have and your key_buffer_size and other my.cnf settings that
>might povide some possibility for suggesting an optimization in those settings.
Thanks I provide you some data, I hope you can help me.
RAM: 512 MB
Operating system: Windows 2003
Mysql configured with UTF8
my.ini variables:
key_buffer_size=190M
query_cache_size=25M
read_buffer_size=4M
read_rnd_buffer_size=6M
sort_buffer_size=16M
table_cache=256
tmp_table_size=26M
myisam_max_sort_file_size=20M
myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size=1M
myisam_sort_buffer_size=51M

The big table has 10 fields: 4 integers, 1 timestamp, 3 VARCHAR(15), 1 VARCHAR(40), 1 TEXT (fulltext indexed)
The TEXT field use to have less than 100 characters.
Besides the full text index it has indexes for 1 varchar and for 3 integer fields.
The typical query uses the full text index, Limit clause with about only 25 rows, and one of the indexed fields to sort (but I can see MYSQL uses filesorting instead of using the key, I tested it in Mysql 4.1 and 5.0 with the same behaviour)

The querys without the sort are very very fast (the limit clause also helps a lot), but when I add the sorting the performace falls a lot.

>If it wasn't for the fulltext part I'd suggest consideing InnoDB with a primary/clustered
>key which matches the order you want, because InnoDB would automatically store the
>records in the right order. Fulltext search is planned for InnoDB but not for some time.
That would be perfect… until then, the only short term solution I can imagine is to modify the myisamchk tool to allow reverse sorting...

Thanks for your interest !

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
April 12, 2005 01:19AM
April 26, 2005 12:50AM
April 28, 2005 08:21AM
Re: myisamchk sorting records descending
May 09, 2005 10:25AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.