MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Re: We're a Big MyISAM Shop, But...
Posted by: Benoit St-Jean
Date: May 04, 2017 06:04PM

If you're planning on using a mix of MyISAM & InnoDB tables, right ahead I can say you're asking for trouble! I've seen this combo many times at many places and it always ened up causing lots of problems. In the end, people were either changing their database design or just switched to an all-InnoDB setup. There are tons of things that can go wrong with this combo. Either you're all MyISAM or all InnoDB but having both types of tables is a recipe for lots of headaches.

I've been working on InnoDB installations since InnoDB came out. After all those years, right now, it's rock-solid. I don't understand your opinion about it. Besides, MyISAM will soon vanish. Finally, all the development is now InnoDB-focused.

InnoDB will also allow you to tweak lock contention via the isolation level. It's much more permissive and performant if you experience a lot of READ/UPDATE against your tables. Plus, you alway have the option of changing the isolation level for the session to fit your needs.

I'd say don't wait for the moment MyISAM will officially be dead. Plan now and migrate slowly, just to give you enough time to "better know the beast"!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: We're a Big MyISAM Shop, But...
May 04, 2017 06:04PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.