MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Possible Hit for Number of Tables
Posted by: Sam Charette
Date: February 22, 2005 09:22AM

Hi there!

I'm a moderate newbie in mySQL. I've set it up before, and tend to use it for all of my applications. I've joined in with another group of people who are doing something very strange on their forum software, and I was hoping to get some information on how it might affect the database server, as the specifics are outside of my knowledge.

Essentially, we want to give everyone their own forum, and by everyone I mean about 1,500 users. Currently, it's just a matter of inserting 1,500 records into a table, which is peanuts for mySQL.

BUT one of the admins wants to change everything around so that each forum gets its own database of 24 tables. That's a worst-case scenario of 36,000 tables.

Granted, the cache would have to grow from the default, and not all of these forums would be receiving more than a small amount of use, but I was wondering if someone here could give me an idea as to how this many tables in 1,500 databases, all acting as one, might affect a single instance of mySQL running on what can only be considered a powerful workstation-class machine.

Thanks!

Sam

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Possible Hit for Number of Tables
February 22, 2005 09:22AM
February 24, 2005 07:59AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.