MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Averaging data on the fly vs Second Table
Posted by: Rick James
Date: April 04, 2009 08:16PM

Any program doing anything with 30 million things will take time. It's not so much a question of MySQL, as it is of CPU speed and disk speed. I strongly recommend rolling up the data into summary tables. Based on what you say, "quarter-hourly" would be the only table you need. I would have the time (rounded down the the quarter-hour) and the average for that time period (perhaps as a float). You might keep max and min in that table, too.

Running queries against the summary table will necessarily run 900 (# seconds in a quarter-hour) times as fast. Probably you would not need any other summary tables.

You could store the 30M rows in a db table, but plan on doing the real work with the summary table(s).

I suspect you will often find no temperature change over a 15-minute period. It might make more sense to collect the data for a minute (or 15), then store the average (etc) in a table. Or do you really have use for the second-by-second details?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Averaging data on the fly vs Second Table
April 04, 2009 08:16PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.