MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: 11 millions records : more than 30 seconds to retrieve simple request
Posted by: Rick James
Date: January 15, 2011 01:25AM

* 3 hours vs 10 hours -- thanks for the statistic. (10x has been my experience, but there are enough things that can vary, that your 3x is not unexpected.)

* after generation, execute SELECT log_time,milli,value FROM my_table WHERE variable='myvariable' ORDER BY log_time, milli :
How many rows did it return? MyISAM has to work harder because the PRIMARY KEY is not 'clustered'.

* 5 hr OPTIMIZE -- interesting.

* execute again the same SELECT command
See if the "Query cache" is turned on. It probably is. Suggest benchmarking with
SELECT SQL_NO_CACHE ...
Even if that does not explain it, the disk blocks were fetched on the first try, thereby making the second SELECT not have to hit the disk.

* MYISAM needs to be OPTIMIZE to be useable -- No. Or, at least not unless you have a lot of churn (DELETEs, UPDATEs, etc)

* decide to work with INNODB -- Fine. Did you check the disk size? Did you shrink key_buffer_size and raise innodb_buffer_pool_size? More details:
http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/memory

* copy a .IBD file -- Yeah, it won't work. There is something critical in the ibdata1 file.

Consider this: When you are about to remove (archive) table xyz, do
ALTER TABLE xyz ENGINE=MyISAM;
Then you have the .MYD file to copy off, and delete.
Restoring can be done in reverse.
Yeah, it won't be cheap (like the 5 hour OPTIMIZE). Another tip... Remove/add indexes during that same ALTER.
ALTER TABLE xyz DROP (all indexes) ENGINE=MyISAM;
ALTER TABLE xyz ADD (re-establish all indexes) ENGINE=InnoDB;

* including the 'value' field in the PRIMARY key -- That applied ONLY to MyISAM. You don't need it in InnoDB.

* SELECT variable,log_time,milli,value FROM my_table WHERE log_time>='begindate' AND log_time <'enddate' ORDER BY log_time, milli is catastrophic.
With no 'value' field in the primary key: EXPLAIN said 'using where'
With 'value' field in the primary key: EXPLAIN said 'using where,using index' ???
And this is true for both MYISAM and INNODB
-- Ah! that is a subtlety I did not pick on. The reason (in InnoDB) is that the secondary key is effectively
(log_time, milli, variable, value)
The first two fields being what you asked for; the last two being the 'rest of' the PRIMARY KEY.

To get MyISAM to perform as well for that query, add
INDEX(log_time, milli, variable, value)
instead of simply (log_time, milli)

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.