MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

The usual - help optimizing create/select match-up for 2-column db
Posted by: qwerty awerty
Date: October 23, 2004 07:43AM

Hello all,

Could someone please give me a hand optimizing this mysql schema/query duo? My interest is speed of selects only. This database is static - no inserts, updates or anything else to worry about.

The basic schema is:

CREATE theTable (
user_id smallint unsigned,
characteristic_id smallint unsigned
);

Users have provided a list of characteristics, and each of those characteristics have been mapped to a preset list of charcteristic id's. (Example, between the age of 50 and 55 = characteristic id 456; lives in New York = characteristic id 2687) There are 3,000 possible characteristic ids, but your average user would be identified by only about 1/5 of those, so each user will have ~600 entries. There are about 20,000 users.

The basic query is

"count users with characteristic x and characteristic 2"

in other words,

SELECT COUNT(*) from theTable A inner join theTable B on (A.user_id = B.user_id) where (A.characteristic_id = x and B.characteristic_id = y);

My question is, how to best apply indexes/keys to the table and how to best match query structure to that for maximum speed.

I've tried:

CREATE theTable (
characteristic_id smallint unsigned,
PRIMARY KEY (user_id, characteristic_id)
);

In this case, doing an EXPLAIN on the query mentioned above gave:

+-------+--------+---------------+---------+---------+----------------+----+------+--------------------------+
| table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref + | rows | Extra |
+-------+--------+---------------+---------+---------+----------------+----+------+--------------------------+
| B | ref | PRIMARY | PRIMARY | 2 | const + | 3007 | Using where; Using index |
| A | eq_ref | PRIMARY | PRIMARY | 4 | const,B.user_id | 1 | Using where; Using index |

Then I tried

CREATE theTable (
characteristic_id smallint unsigned,
PRIMARY KEY (user_id, characteristic_id)
KEY(user_id), KEY(characteristic_id)
);

And EXPLAIN on the same query gave:

+-------+--------+-----------------------------+----------+---------+--------------------+------+--------------------------+
| table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra |
+-------+--------+-----------------------------+----------+---------+--------------------+------+--------------------------+
| A | ref | PRIMARY,respondent,response | response | 2 | const | 3372 | Using where |
| B | eq_ref | PRIMARY,respondent,response | PRIMARY | 4 | A.user_id,const | 1 | Using where; Using index |

Unfortunately I'm abysmal at interpreting these EXPLAIN results

I expected the second to be faster than the first, but it wasn't - which I suspect has more to do with something I'm doing wrong than the implimentation of keys themselves.

If it's of importance, I'm using Perl DBI as an interface.

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
The usual - help optimizing create/select match-up for 2-column db
October 23, 2004 07:43AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.