MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: millions of records
Posted by: Nathan Huebner
Date: November 03, 2005 06:56AM

Kevin,

Guess what, I ate my own words with a fork when I said all of that in my previous reply to you.

HERE IS WHAT I DID. You could use this type of method to organize your data, like with the customer id # idea i told you, where you take the first 3 digits (100, or 101), and create a table, and store all of the customers with Id beginning with 100 in the table called 100. I did a HUGE simulation, and I have INCREDIBLE results!!! Mysql is more powerful than i could have ever imagined in my entire life!!!

I call this the 39 Million Row March :P

Creating 39 million lines to simulate Emails + Id #'s
example:

Once you have created your KEY DATA Table (i did an example below), you can query it for the ID #, and take the ID #, get the first 3 digits, and then use that 3 digits to locate the TABLE which the user's data is in... This will allow you to split millions of rows into seperate tables... Lets say you have your ID #'s setup like this:

Customers 1 to 500,000 have ID #'s 10099999 to 39099999... This would create 290 tables. That might be a bit too much for your case, so you might want to lower it to first digit, or first 2 digits.

I think you get where i am going with this right? I think you should experiment, and get your math together on this one and do it right, because I have to do this with my web site.

WANT TO TEST IT?

IF YOU WANT TO SEE HOW MYSQL CAN HANDLE 39 MILLION ROWS OF KEY DATA

Create a table, call it userlocation (or whatever you want)

Then add a column "email" and "id", make the email 100 Varchar, and id 15 Varchar.
Remember, this is all you need, you don't want extra stuff in this table, it will cause a lot of slow-down.

So if My ID # is 10399999 then i would be stored in a table called 103 (or table 10 if you used 2 digits). You could work this any way you want... by first digit, first two digits, first three digits, even first 4, but first 3 and 4 starts to create a lot of tables, i don't know how that would work. but this method will allow you to split them

Then in PHP, make a script to like this:

# WARNING WARNING WARNING
# SCRIPT WILL EAT AROUND 1.09 GIGABYTES
# WARNING WARNING WARNING

<?
# Creates exactly 39 million rows
# May take up to 14 minutes depending on machine / hd space
echo "Writing...<br><br>";
$fp=fopen("C:\mil.txt","wb");
for ($x=1000000; $x < 40000000; $x++) {
$fw=fwrite($fp, "$x@aol.com" . chr(9) . $x . "\r\n");
}
fclose($fp);
echo "Finished writing...";
?>

# NOW TO GET THE 39 MILLION ROWS INTO MYSQL

After you have your C:\mil.txt file ready, you should now LOAD DATA INFILE to that userlocation file (remember, this is just a performance test).

HERE IS THE SYNTAX TO DO THIS:

LOAD DATA INFILE 'C:/mil.txt' INTO TABLE userlocation;

Give it a minute or so, its 39 million lines :P

LOAD DATA STATEMENT RETURN TIME: 1 minute 6.91 seconds. (39 Million Rows)

INDEX YOUR EMAIL COLUMN, BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE TO SEARCH BY IT.
MySQL Time: 14 minutes.
Cardinality of Email SHOULD BE 39 million

Click the LIGHTNING icon on the row of EMAIL for your table in PHPMyAdmin.

Querying the table:

SELECT * FROM `byemail` WHERE email = '24123765@aol.com'
Query return time: 0.05 sec...

This seems to work.

Now you have the email address, and you can return the ID # from that row to locate the user's table.

Good luck! :)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
September 03, 2005 12:04PM
September 05, 2005 12:24PM
September 26, 2005 04:30PM
November 03, 2005 05:42AM
Re: millions of records
November 03, 2005 06:56AM
November 03, 2005 04:37PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.