MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Optimizing table_cache - Open files?
Posted by: Rick James
Date: August 10, 2011 08:04PM

Opened_tables, but itself is not very interesting; Opened_tables / Uptime -- it would be good if this is less than 1/sec.

> I may have to increase table_cache value.
Don't bother. The lookup algorithm is linear; it needs to be hashed (and may someday be). Meanwhile, a huge table_cache (say >1000) is less efficient than a smaller one (say 300). Remember, it is a "cache". I agree with paul that this probably the metric to see if table_cache is "ok": Opened_tables / Uptime.

I did not not give table_cache a very prominent status in
http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/memory
because I don't think it is that important. I almost never encounter a machine where the table_cache value is causing trouble.

> I've been trying to find out exactly what table_cache does cache, but haven't had much luck.
I don't know exactly. I think it holds some info about a table for a connection/query/join/whatever. It probably occupies a fixed amount of RAM. In multi-GB machines, the space for a few hundred table_cache entries seems to be insignificant.

> holds open full tables in memory.
No. Data and indexes are cached in key_buffer, buffer_pool, and the OS. (Details in a reply I wrote minutes ago.)

> then the system will use swap, which is very slow
YES!!
Usually, decreasing key_buffer_size and/or innodb_buffer_pool_size is easiest and best when you blow out RAM.

This is a long-winded thread; if I missed any "bits and pieces", please repeat them.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
August 04, 2011 05:08AM
Re: Optimizing table_cache - Open files?
August 10, 2011 08:04PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.