MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: MySQL (all versions) and Query Cache
Posted by: Rick James
Date: November 25, 2011 11:40AM

True. The QC is a waste of time on tables that are frequently modified. I changed the Subject since this discussion applies to all versions of MySQL since the QC was added more than a decade ago.

There are other restrictions on the usefulness of the QC.

The QC has an overhead penalty of 11% on simple queries. (SQL_NO_CACHE is not sufficient to avoid the penalty.)

My general advice is to turn the Query cache totally off (unless you have a compelling reason to use it). Configure both of these:
* query_cache_size = 0
* query_cache_type = OFF

If you think you have a system where it is useful, then my advice includes:
* query_cache_size = -- no more than 50M (since a linear algorithm is used)
* query_cache_type = DEMAND
* SQL_CACHE and SQL_NO_CACHE on all SELECTs -- That is, take control of what _might_ be cached, and don't clutter the cache with resultsets that are unlikely to never be repeated.
After some time, SHOW GLOBAL STATUS LIKE 'Qc%' and SHOW GLOBAL STATUS LIKE 'Uptime'; then let's discuss whether the numbers tell you about the usefulness of the QC.

The complete purging of the table happens on Slaves, too. So, this discussion applies to replication setups.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
November 24, 2011 02:43PM
Re: MySQL (all versions) and Query Cache
November 25, 2011 11:40AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.