MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: RAM consideration/ IO usage
Posted by: Jawahar muthukrishnan
Date: January 15, 2015 03:07PM

Rick - thanks for the detailed explanation.

We will be doing more INSERTS than SELECTs. Our projection is that, one of the tables will have 14 * (10^9) records at the end of two years.

1. We are considering aggregating data which are older than 3 months, which will then result in a BAD schema as you say it - * huge datasets that get purged of old data daily/monthly .

2. At the peak, we are expecting 40,000 insert requests per second. How should I account for this in the hardware configuratin/mysql configuration.

3. We are planning on using Amazon MySQL RDS instance for data storage. Our projection is at the end of 2 years, we will be storing 1.6 TB of data. Should I pick an instance with high RAM value, or look at IOPS options. Since our system requires mostly INSERTS, should IOPS be the important factor?

4. We do store lat/long values for some events, and our hope was to use "find nearest" feature of mysql.. Why is this BAD schema?

5. We do have SELECTS with count(*) but within a TIME RANGE, where I defined an index in the TIME column. THis should not result in high I/O usage right?

6. How should I test performance in MYSQL.. Shoudl I load up the database with dummy data matching our forecast, and then execute inserts/ and Selects?

7. I am being advised that MySQL will not scale, and we should seriously consider something like Redshift.. You opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
January 13, 2015 12:39PM
January 14, 2015 01:47PM
Re: RAM consideration/ IO usage
January 15, 2015 03:07PM
January 16, 2015 02:14PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.