MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Disk data file format, restictions, and monitoring
Posted by: Brian Z
Date: December 03, 2006 12:09PM

Can someone explain the inner workings of the disk data files? How is performance/reliability affected by having few/more large/small data files? (eg.: ALTER TABLESPACE ts_01
ADD DATAFILE 'data_02.dat'
INITIAL_SIZE 100G
ENGINE NDB;
)

I can't help but notice the similarities at-a-glance between MySQL 5.1 Cluster disk data databases, and InnoDB files.

Past experience with InnoDB files led us to use the innodb_file_per_table option to get around the continous problems we had with managing InnoDB file sizes (ie. not auto-shrinking). Cluster data files now do not auto grow either; we need to find out how to manage these properly.

For our cluster, we have 4 identical 2x dual-core servers with 4GB ram each, 4 network cards, 76GB local storage, and iSCSI connected data arrays for the rest of the storage (blade systems with separate disk arrays for each node. I understand the reprecussions of taking the data storage out of the local machine...).

We have about 500GB of data spread across about 140 DB's, and 1400-2000 tables. (Our current servers handling this data are 2x single P4s, 4GB ram, 500GB in RAID10 on a single network).

Is there a guideline for creating/sizing/scaling the disk data files?

Is there a guideline for the the undo log files? I suspect our undo file is not enough for our data, but I don't have a baseline to compare with. We have a single undo log file currently created with:
CREATE LOGFILE GROUP lg_1
ADD UNDOFILE 'undo_1.dat'
INITIAL_SIZE 16M
UNDO_BUFFER_SIZE 2M
ENGINE NDB;

The overall plan is to initially load the data onto the local server data files for OLTP (about 140GB local storage with 76GB on each of 4 nodes with 2 replicas), then use the same nodes and dump the data into a second table space (about 500GB iSCSI partition at a time, growing into 5-7TB).

On a related note, having to change all our create table statements to include the table space is not ideal. Is there any way to force a table space to be used for all tables within a database?:
TABLESPACE ts_01 STORAGE DISK
ENGINE NDB;

Any suggestions on a better way to do this? I really like what Cluster is enabling us to do for our business, but data file management seems a bit clunky to me right now.

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Disk data file format, restictions, and monitoring
December 03, 2006 12:09PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.