MySQL Forums :: Replication :: Replication & failover with 4 servers

Advanced Search

Replication & failover with 4 servers
Posted by: Joao Villa-Lobos ()
Date: September 20, 2010 10:17AM

Hi all,

I've read some of the posts already on the forum about this issue but since none of them addressed the same situation that I will have to set up, I decided to create a topic of my own.

I am trying to figure out how to set up replication & failover in a scenario with 4 servers (2 per location) where any server may assume the Master role. My initial scenario is the following one:

- 2 servers in location A (One Master, One Slave);
- 2 servers in location B (Two Slaves).

For this I'm thinking on using the configuration Master-Master Active-Passive suggested on O'Reilly's "High Performance MySQL" on all of them so each one can become a Master when needed.

If the Master "dies" the other server from location A assumes the Master role whenever is possible. It will always have a bigger priority then the servers on location B.
A server on location B will only switch to Master if no server on location A is able to do so.

Since MySQL can't handle this automatically I need some other way to implement this. I've read already about heartbeat and Maatkit. Is this the way to go? Has anyone used this in a similar scenario? Is there some other way to go in order to achieve this? Any pointers about failout will be appreciated.

I want to keep this as simple as possible avoiding stuff such as DRDB. I'm not concerned about high availability just a way to switch roles automatically.

Thanks in advance,

João

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Replication & failover with 4 servers 1709 Joao Villa-Lobos 09/20/2010 10:17AM
Re: Replication & failover with 4 servers 670 Rick James 09/26/2010 10:29AM
Re: Replication & failover with 4 servers 616 Joao Villa-Lobos 09/27/2010 11:09AM
Re: Replication & failover with 4 servers 633 Rick James 09/27/2010 07:39PM
Re: Replication & failover with 4 servers 597 Joao Villa-Lobos 09/28/2010 07:07AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.