MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Security

Grant causing disconnects?
Posted by: David Martinez
Date: July 19, 2006 08:54AM

On MySQL 5.0.2 under Fedora Core 5, I have a situation where I need a user (B) to have privileges to a couple of tables on a database (A) that otherwise belongs to another user (A). Both users need access from another host.

So userA@% owns databaseA with a grant all privs on databaseA.*

On the web applicaiton in question, there is a subsystem that automatically performs sql commands as "userA". So I used root user to provide the appropriate GRANT:

GRANT GRANT OPTION ON databaseA.* TO userA IDENTIFIED BY 'somepass';

But this is still failing
GRANT ALL ON userA.tableForB TO userB IDENTIFIED BY 'userA'

Access denied for user 'userA'@'%' to database 'databaseA'

Another team member pointed out that maybe userA didn't have rights to create new users, so I tried creating it first (this is where things get screwy):

mysql> CREATE USER 'userB'@'%' identified by 'somepass';
Table 'mysql.procs_priv' doesn't exist.

After all this I decided to try and fix this problem and do the same as root:
mysql> GRANT ALL ON userA.tableForB TO userB IDENTIFIED BY 'userA';
ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost conection to MySQL server during query

Now every time I try a grant I get a lost connection. Regular queries still work fine.

I tried running "fix_system_tables" but that hasn't helped.

I saw this http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=9496 but what I need is a way to fix the grants of an existing database instead of creating a new one. What I'd like to know is:

1) Is there a definition of the procs_priv table I can add so the create user works?
2) Failing all this, how do I fix this mysql installation? Luckily I'm running under Linux on my workstation so I was able to catch it before it hit a server down the line and caused QA downtime (it didn't happen to the Windows folks).

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Grant causing disconnects?
July 19, 2006 08:54AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.