MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Security

Lost MYI file
Posted by: Steve De Chellis
Date: September 23, 2005 11:49AM

I manage a web forum for a small company and last friday something happened.

15 minutes after midnight the file "posts.myi" went missing, along with it went several hundred thousand messages.

This occured just 45 minutes prior to our nightly backup so a good deal of messages were lost. I have not gotten an answer from the company yet on if they were using binary logging but considering the slugish performance of their mySQL server I expect they were not. (they have long had lots of sql connect errors during peak traffic times)

I've checked the logs and other then a large quantity of sql connect failures prior to the missing file error I don't see any evidence of hacking or forced entry attempts (the admin log is empty of activity at that hour of the day)

Can anyone give me an idea of what to look for in my logs that might indicate why this file suddenly disapeared? Could someone have snuck in a DROP TABLE message? Could someone have simply gained access to the webserver and deleted the file?

I don't want this to happen again!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Lost MYI file
September 23, 2005 11:49AM
September 23, 2005 04:17PM
September 24, 2005 09:03AM
September 25, 2005 07:59AM
September 25, 2005 12:40PM
September 25, 2005 03:57PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.