MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Administrator

Innodb & Using symlinks to move database directories
Posted by: John Daisley
Date: June 02, 2009 08:45AM

Hi,

I currently use symbolic links to move database directories out of the main data directory. This enables me to manage disk i/o and space.

Basically I move the database directory out of the mysql data directory to wherever I want it and then create a symbolic link in the data directory which points to the new location. This works very well but up to now all the databases I have moved contain only MyISAM tables and now I ideally need to move a database which contains innodb tables.

I had hoped I would just be able to use the innodb_file_per_table option (so MySQL creates a tablespace for each innodb table in the relevant database directory), then use the same symbolic link method I use for a MyISAM only database but sadly on testing this it does not appear to work and generates errors when trying to access/create innodb tables.

Does anyone know of a way of moving database directories with innodb tables to different locations?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Regards
John

John Daisley

Freelance Cognos BI Developer / SQL Server & MySQL DBA
Gloucester, United Kingdom.
Telephone +44(0)7918 621621

» MySQL Certified Database Administrator (CMDBA)
» MySQL Certified Developer (CMDEV)
» MySQL Certified Associate (CMA)
» Comptia A+ Certified Professional IT Technician

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Innodb & Using symlinks to move database directories
June 02, 2009 08:45AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.