MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Administrator

restore database from mysql 4.1
Posted by: Florian Bauer
Date: April 13, 2010 09:48AM

Hi community,

i ve got a serious problem restoring my mysql-database. Mysql 4.1.x was running on a gentoo linux machine that completely crashed. I ve only got a copy of the file-system, meaning the files and directories left in /var/lib/mysql. My new server is an ubuntu-server system 9.10 with latest mysql5 installed. My goal is to save the old database and somehow get it running with the latest version.

what I tried:
-installing mysql-server 4.0 on a windows-system and copying the files into the mysql-folder. "show databases;" displays the folders, but any attempt to SELECT or MYSQLDUMP returns syntax errors.
-accessing the database with an external "phpmyadmin" results in errors (something like "you should update to mysql 5")

my idea:
- somehow install the same version of mysql on a test-ubuntu-system and just copying the whole files over. Can this work? If yes, where can I find a working pakage for Ubuntu 9.10?

I d very much appreciate your tips and ideas,

thank you
Florian

Dear thread admin: I think this thread belongs somewhere else - I figured out that MYSQL Administrator is the name of a programm and not a simple description. I try to repost this on another thread - maybe you can delete his topic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 03:23AM by Florian Bauer.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
restore database from mysql 4.1
April 13, 2010 09:48AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.