MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

MySQL Workbench on hard drive but MySQL Server on network so team can access via ODBC?
Posted by: Anne-Marie Matula
Date: December 17, 2018 03:56PM

Hi,

Is it possible to have MySQL Server on our network while keeping MySQL Workbench, MySQL Utilities, MySQL Shell, and MySQL Router on the hard (c:) drive in order for my colleagues to access the data through an ODBC connection (within PowerBuilder 7.0)?

I have the ODBC connection working locally without issues. But my colleagues need to access the data too.

I am not sure if it is just a simple matter of modifying my.ini to specify the new (network) location or if there is other work that would be needed OR if I need to move all of MySQL to the network (?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The my.ini file (located locally at C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7) has some instructions:

# On Windows you should keep this file in the installation directory
# of your server (e.g. C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server X.Y). To
# make sure the server reads the config file use the startup option
# "--defaults-file".
#
# To run the server from the command line, execute this in a
# command line shell, e.g.
# mysqld --defaults-file="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server X.Y\my.ini"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that sounds like I also need my.ini on the network too.

I know I can try this and see if it works, but thought to ask the community if there are any known issues that might arise should I do this.

Thank you for your help and I hope your day is a good one,

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL Workbench on hard drive but MySQL Server on network so team can access via ODBC?
December 17, 2018 03:56PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.