MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

Re: [ODBC 5.1 Driver]Can't initialize character set utf8mb4 (path:/usr/local/mysql/share/charsets/) {HY000,NativeErr = 2019}
Posted by: Yash Dave
Date: July 22, 2021 11:44AM

Thank you Peter, Edwin,

I will try and use higher version (I will need to compile them since they are not available for AIX 5.3).

And I think I was dealing with two issues:

(1) I had missed installing the MySQL client software on the AIX server that has Oracle DB (there was no prior MySQL s/w installed at all on that AIX server, the MySQL DB instance was only on the second RHEL 7.7 server).

I downloaded mysql-5.1.66-aix5.3-powerpc-64bit.tar.gz and extracted it in /usr/local, created symbolic link "mysql" to /usr/local/mysql-5.1.66-aix5.3-powerpc-64bit/ to make the /usr/local/mysql/share/charsets/ available.
It still only brought "utf8" as both you had mentioned (it didn't know about "utf8mb4")

After above, if I had a DB created with "utf8" character set, a table with character data, I was able to query that column from Oracle Database link.

(2) Only my db instance v5.7.33 default character set was "utf8" character set, but the application databases inside were created with "utf8mb4".

And as both of you pointed out, connector odbc v5.1.8 only knew about "utf8".

I am going try and recompile the Connector/ODBC v8.x or some lower v5.3.x version source (after I get the c compiler working on this AIX server).

Thank you both for your help. Appreciate it.

Yash

(We can close this thread).

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.