Re: Prepared Statements, MySQL 4.1, and binary protocol
Posted by: Jason Winnebeck
Date: February 14, 2005 09:31AM

The benchmarking is done by running our actual application where the only difference is changing out the jar from 3.0 to 3.1 drivers. We've already changed the DB from 4.0 to 4.1, so the difference in drivers also should change the functionality used.

The system is embedded; the CPU used is equivalent in performance to an Intel Pentium 166 (by our own tests). The JVM used is CVM (J2ME CLDC -- roughly this is Java "1.3" level). MySQL 4.0 used 5MB of RAM on startup, 4.1 used 4MB of RAM. We connect to the device both locally and over a network (used for downloading data).

Just switching out the driver when connecting locally to 4.1 DB, Java heap usage goes up by 500k (we look at Java heap used at every GC interval -- our heap size is static). CVM process size goes up by 300k (this should reflect the difference due to bytecode and internal structures to load the package), and the disk usage of the unpacked JAR on disk is 2x that of 3.0 (1MB versus 512k). CPU usage goes down by 10%. I wasn't expecting such a huge difference, because while we do very occasionally use prepared statements, almost all of our interactions are by using MySQL-specific multi-value insert syntax to put data into the DB.

All of the data in our database is numeric excluding some trivial and small static metadata tables that describe the data; we have 64 and 16 bit integers and a lot of floats (about half of our columns are SINGLE type).

I haven't seen enough to be able to say anything about the new driver/DB combo being used from the client (desktop 1.5) side.

Jason Winnebeck
Center for Integrated Manufacturing Studies
Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Prepared Statements, MySQL 4.1, and binary protocol
February 14, 2005 09:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.