Communication failure during handshake. Is there a server running on localhost:3306?
Posted by: Aoife Fitzmaurice
Date: March 01, 2005 07:03AM

Hi,

I'm running on Windows XP, I had MySQL 4.1.9-nt running successfully with mm.mysql-2.0.13 driver but then I wanted to have a secure connection between my client and MySQL so I changed the grant privileges of root@localhost to only except X509 certificates by:

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON test.* TO root@localhost
-> IDENTIFIED BY "goodsecret" REQUIRE X509;

It didn't like the certificates that I had in place and denied me access to the database server. I forget the exact error but it was something like connection failure with Password('Yes').

I uninstalled MySQL and re-installed. This was successfull I could connect through admin to the database and can also telnet with localhost 3306, I changed the privileges to allow root@localhost remote access to the database by:

mysql> Grant all on mysql.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by "password";
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

but now when i try to access the database with servlets i get a failure during handshake. Is there a server running on localhost 3306? message.

It doesn't seem to be connecting at all, i've tried changing the user root -p in the servlets to see if I get a different error message but I get the same failure during handshake error message.

I've tried installing older versions of MySQL as well as installed updated drivers i.e. Connector/J but still same message.

I'm thinking there is some kind of .ini file that retains security settings from the first install that is on System. I delete my.ini and the MySQL which contains data, still no luck.

Please help, its very frustrating.
Thanks,
Aoife.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Communication failure during handshake. Is there a server running on localhost:3306?
March 01, 2005 07:03AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.