MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/Python

multithreaded db access
Posted by: dale patterson
Date: June 18, 2009 01:22PM

I have a multithreaded python app where multiple threads access a db through the MySQLdb API. (All the tables are InnoDB if that helps). While reading the MySQLdb docs, I saw that it is not threadsafe in terms of sharing a common connection in different threads. So, when each thread starts, it make a connection object and when it exits it closes the connection. The problem is that changes made by one thread are not seen by the others. For example, I have one thread that will delete all records in all tables associated with a common job (I am using commits). However, a second thread will still "see" the deleted job and can retrieve all related data from every table. Now at the same time, I can run mysql from the command line and verify that the deleted data is in fact deleted. I am wondering how this is possible and if it is related to the db API, the db itself or to python. At present, I have a workaround where each time a thread needs to perform a query it makes a new connection and this works but I don't like having to make a new connection all the time. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
multithreaded db access
June 18, 2009 01:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.