MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Perl

Re: install_driver(mysql) failed
Posted by: Doug McLean
Date: March 27, 2008 08:51AM

Well my last post isn't showing up and I'm buggered if I can find out whether it ever will do. Is there a forum FAQ anywhere?

Still, just in case it is working, I thought I'd follow up - I found the fix to my problem. In case it's of any use to anyone out there... I was using a password-protected IIS website and my script which uses DBD::mysql wasn't working (error message along the lines of "install_driver(mysql) failed: load mysql.dll failed at Dynaloader.pm line 230"). But the script worked on the command line.

Turned out I had to switch my IIS authentication method. I was using "Integrated Windows Authentication", which I foolishly assumed meant that when I logged in to the website, I had the same level of access as if I'd logged in to the desktop. Somehow this was not the case, and my script couldn't access the necessary library files. I switched to "Basic Authentication" and hey presto, it worked. So it seems the less secure method of authentication gives you greater access privileges. Nice one.

If you use this approach, it seems the common concensus is that basic authentication should be nice and secure over HTTPS. Don't use it over HTTP unless you want your Windows username and password transmitted unencrypted across the web. To be on the safe side, configure IIS to "require secure connection (SSL)" for directories that are "protected" in this way. Although people who attempt to access it via HTTP might still get as far as giving their unencrypted login credentials before being told to get knotted, I'm not sure.

Best of luck
Doug

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
February 23, 2006 07:49AM
February 23, 2006 07:02PM
April 22, 2006 01:36PM
April 22, 2006 06:50PM
September 13, 2007 06:54AM
h h
October 30, 2007 01:15AM
January 13, 2008 01:25PM
Re: install_driver(mysql) failed
March 27, 2008 08:51AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.