MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft SQL Server

Three tips for SQL Server upgrade, migration
Posted by: thelast thelast
Date: July 18, 2011 03:37AM

It’s funny. Most organizations I work with would prefer to have all their infrastructure and platform components on a single software release: one version of Windows for domain controllers or one version of Exchange Server for messaging, for example. When it comes to Microsoft SQL Server, however, “one version to rule them all” isn’t a rallying cry in most companies. It is funny that I obtained the knowledge when I was designing the database for the Christian Louboutin Shoes.
I have clients whose SQL Server software looks as if they're trying to build a collection, with SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008 and 2008 R2 all running in the same data center. Sometimes that's because of financial concerns: Why pay to upgrade software that’s working fine? Other times compatibility is the problem, when the applications working with and storing data in SQL Server don’t support a different version.
Eventually, you’ll need a SQL Server upgrade. Running SQL Server 2000, for example -- a version that is years out of its support lifecycle -- is probably a bit risky, since there’s nobody around to help if problems arise. When the time does

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Three tips for SQL Server upgrade, migration
July 18, 2011 03:37AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.