MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Other Migration

Connecting to MySql remotely using sqlstrconnect
Posted by: Gordon Haas
Date: August 13, 2018 11:42AM

Have FoxPro VFP 8 connecting to MySql Server "locally" using sqlstringconnect. Using the MySql ODBC 5.3.11 connector. When I try to connect "remotely" to MySql Server using the same sqlstringconnect it fails. The user is "defined" as host "%" in his setup. In the System DSN the ip address of the Server is specied, not localhost. In the sqlstringconnect that same ip address is specified, same user, same password. The FoxPro .exe that is making the connection, locally, is resident on the same system as the MySql Server. I am executing that same .exe from the remote system via a mapped drive (client:Server) environment. Starting from the same folder in both cases as well.

In an attempt to "cover all bases" I installed the same ODBC connector on the remote system with the same setup but it fails when tested at the System DSN test. Since I am running the .exe from the MySql Server system this does not surprise me - it should not be needed.
Is this a problem of "sharing the connection"? I have tried to implement this with the sqlconnect function after the sqlstringconnect function but sqlconnect complains that I have an invalid connection handle when I am trying to pass the "statement handle". I don't think I have the correct architecture on this test.

I would appreciate any insights on this one. This is my first "walk" in the FoxPro MySql paradigm and I was feeling successful (managed to transfer one table over 50,000 records between the two worlds) until it came time to make the FoxPro MySql connection across the LAN.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Connecting to MySql remotely using sqlstrconnect
August 13, 2018 11:42AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.