MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PostgreSQL

Re: How can I convert this Postgres stored procedure to MYSQL
Posted by: Jon Bowlas
Date: February 20, 2006 04:18AM

I managed to resolve the issue with the trg_ins_dept trigger it was a problem with the version of PHPMyAdmin we're using here.

However I have another issue, with the 2nd trigger 'trg_upd_dept', which returns the error: 'Not allowed to return a result set from a trigger', I've checked the forums and apparently this is true you're not allowed to return the results set, that is unless I put the result in a variable with the SELECT INTO syntax. So would this be correct?

CREATE TRIGGER trg_upd_dept
AFTER UPDATE ON DEPT
FOR EACH ROW
SELECT MAX(version)+1 INTO @new_version FROM DEPT where id = OLD.id;
INSERT INTO DEPT_deltas (id, version, orig_DEPTCODE, new_DEPTCODE, orig_DEPTNAME, new_DEPTNAME, orig_STANDFIRST, new_STANDFIRST, orig_DEPTINTRO, new_DEPTINTRO, orig_AFFILTUTOR, new_AFFILTUTOR, orig_OTHERCONTACTTITLE, new_OTHERCONTACTTITLE, orig_OTHERCONTACTNAME, new_OTHERCONTACTNAME, orig_DEPTEMAIL, new_DEPTEMAIL, orig_ADMISSION, new_ADMISSION, orig_DEPTURL, new_DEPTURL, orig_ENDTEXT, new_ENDTEXT, orig_DEPTPREFIX, new_DEPTPREFIX, orig_DEPTSUFFIX, new_DEPTSUFFIX) VALUES (OLD.id, @new_version, OLD.DEPTCODE, NEW.DEPTCODE, OLD.DEPTNAME, NEW.DEPTNAME, OLD.STANDFIRST, NEW.STANDFIRST, OLD.DEPTINTRO, NEW.DEPTINTRO, OLD.AFFILTUTOR, NEW.AFFILTUTOR, OLD.OTHERCONTACTTITLE, NEW.OTHERCONTACTTITLE, OLD.OTHERCONTACTNAME, NEW.OTHERCONTACTNAME, OLD.DEPTEMAIL, NEW.DEPTEMAIL, OLD.ADMISSION, NEW.ADMISSION, OLD.DEPTURL, NEW.DEPTURL, OLD.ENDTEXT, NEW.ENDTEXT, OLD.DEPTPREFIX, NEW.DEPTPREFIX, OLD.DEPTSUFFIX, NEW.DEPTSUFFIX)

The error returned from this is that OLD.id isn't in the field list, which I thought might occur, although I just assumed that OLD.etc, NEW.etc was some sort of mySQL convention. So I'm guessing I'm gonna have to replace all instances of OLD. with orig_ and NEW. with new_ reflecting my database schema, is this correct?

Jon

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.