MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Memory Storage Engine

Re: Data length jumps from 0 to 719016 on first insert!!!
Posted by: Ingo Strüwing
Date: August 11, 2005 03:08AM

Thank you. I can confirm this behaviour, though I get slightly smaller numbers.

I looked into the source (heap/hp_write.c) and found that memory is allocated in blocks (heap_write() -> next_free_record_pos() -> hp_get_new_block()).

You can check this yourself by adding more rows. You will see that data_length and index_length stay constant until the block is filled and another block is allocated.

The command SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'sys_auth' says that you have fixed length records of 11 bytes each. There is a formula in the reference manual 14.3. The MEMORY (HEAP) Storage Engine, which shows how much memory a row takes.

The message of phpMyAdmin "ROW-SIZE: 1,638.4KB" is either very misunderstandable or just wrong. SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'sys_auth' does not tell this. On the other hand, the latter tells "Data_free 0" after one or more inserts, which is also misunderstandable. It says how many data bytes come from deleted and not yet reused rows.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Data length jumps from 0 to 719016 on first insert!!!
August 11, 2005 03:08AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.