MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Merge Storage Engine

Re: Some big databases and merge
Posted by: Ingo Strüwing
Date: June 08, 2006 01:08PM

Hi,

MERGE makes no assumptions about the contents of the MyISAM tables. It simply has no idea if certain keys can be in one or a few tables only. Hence for index accesses, every MyISAM table is scanned in sequence. Even UNIQUE indexes don't help as a key could exist once in every MyISAM table.

However, it is no big deal for a MyISAM table to tell if there are keys in an index range or not. So the scanning of tables without matching keys is fast.

I'm no VIEW expert, but I doubt that you can accomplish what you want by using views.

I suggest to exchange MERGE sub-tables in an interval that is convenient for administration. In terms of performance I think you should not have too many sub-tables, but also not too big sub-tables. But exact numbers depend so much on the application that I don't dare to say more.

Regards

Ingo Strüwing, Senior Software Developer - Storage Engines
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
June 07, 2006 07:04AM
Re: Some big databases and merge
June 08, 2006 01:08PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.