MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Stored Procedures

[Mysql 5.1] Stored Procedures (variables)
Posted by: Christopher Thomas
Date: August 05, 2008 06:44PM

I'm trying to check whether or not phone numbers in a particular column have "0" at the start of them, within a stored procedure so to check i've written:

Code:
DELIMITER $$

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS `jobrun` $$
CREATE PROCEDURE `jobrun`()
BEGIN

DECLARE jobname_p VARCHAR(45);
DECLARE jobphoneno_p VARCHAR(20);
DECLARE checknum VARCHAR(45);

SET @Checknumber = CONCAT("SELECT LEFT(",jobname_p,".",jobphoneno_p,", 1) INTO ",checknum," FROM ",jobname_p," LIMIT 10, 1;");
PREPARE Checknumber FROM @Checknumber;
EXECUTE Checknumber;

IF checknum = '0' THEN
-- DO SOMETHING
ELSE
-- DO SOMETHING ELSE
END IF;

END $$

DELIMITER ;

Which i hoped would retrieve the 10th record (far enough into the file not be a header, not far enough to be the end) from a dynamicaly named column (hence the messey setup) and return the first character from that record so i could then do a simple IF statement on the variable "checknum" to see if its 0 or not. Unfortunately it keeps returning NULL.

I've taken the query out of the CONCAT and ran it as a normal query (minus variables) and it returns fine, i know there isn't an issue with the variables because they're used in other areas of the procedure, i just can't seem to figure out what's causing the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 02:43AM by Christopher Thomas.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
[Mysql 5.1] Stored Procedures (variables)
August 05, 2008 06:44PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.