MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Stored Procedures

Help with optimizing the "Radius Search" stored procedure
Posted by: J D
Date: July 08, 2005 08:36AM

I have found the following code snippet which does a radial search given a zipcode and distance to search outward.

Is there a better optimized way of doing this? There are +70,000 rows in this table, and it appears that it is doing comparisions on every row, instead of just for the valid latitude and longitude ranges. In other words, if I put in the zipcode 90210 (California) and a radius of 5 miles, there should be no reason it would check rows in Michigan. I have read about doing an initial query where you get the latitude and longitude of the zipcode in question. Then you use those to filter out the unnecessary rows. I am not sure how to store the output from the query ( select latitude, longitude from zipcodes where zipcode=myZip) for later use in the stored procedure.

My table (zipcode) has the columns for the zipcode, latitude, longitude which are needed for these calculations.

Another point is that I heard this particular algorithm is good for long distances apart, but not for shrt distances. I would like to have it be more accurate for shorter distances. I found the following algorithm for that, but any time I replace the current algorithm with this one, I get null values in the distance field.

( 2*asin(sqrt((sin((z.latitude-o.latitude)/2))^2 +
cos(z.latitude)*cos(o.latitude)*(sin((z.longitude-o.longitude)/2))^2))
)

Any comments or insights are appreciated. I am a newbie for MySQL stored procedures and coding.

P.S. If anyone knows how to format this post so the code isn't all left-flushed, please let me know.

Thank you

DELIMITER $$

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS `sp_zipSearch`$$
CREATE PROCEDURE `sp_zipSearch`(
IN myZip varchar(5),
IN dist int
)
BEGIN

SELECT o.ZipCode,
(3956 * (2 * ASIN(SQRT(
POWER(SIN(((z.Latitude-o.Latitude)*0.017453293)/2),2) +
COS(z.Latitude*0.017453293) *
COS(o.Latitude*0.017453293) *
POWER(SIN(((z.Longitude-o.Longitude)*0.017453293)/2),2)
)))) AS distance
FROM zipcodes z,
zipcodes o,
zipcodes a
WHERE z.ZipCode = myZip
AND z.ZipCode = a.ZipCode
AND (3956 * (2 * ASIN(SQRT(
POWER(SIN(((z.Latitude-o.Latitude)*0.017453293)/2),2) +
COS(z.Latitude*0.017453293) *
COS(o.Latitude*0.017453293) *
POWER(SIN(((z.Longitude-o.Longitude)*0.017453293)/2),2)
)))) <= dist
ORDER BY distance;

END$$

DELIMITER ;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2005 08:43AM by J D.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Help with optimizing the "Radius Search" stored procedure
J D
July 08, 2005 08:36AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.