MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Stored Procedures

Re: How to use a stored procedure in a select structure?
Posted by: Roland Bouman
Date: November 16, 2005 01:22PM

Ok, but there's still the possiblity that a procedure might return multiple resultsets. On the other hand, if the machinery is intelligent enough, it can foresee that too, so....

Anyway, I tend to regard the distinction between procedures and functions as a bit superficial - I don't mean there's no difference, I mean that a function is just a particular case of a procedure (not neccessarily in the mysql implementation, I mean in general).

I always used to think that the distinction had to do with the ability to return a value - functions do, and procedures dont. Well, I have had to leave that assumption quite a while ago: C and java functions can be void, which is maybe not entirely the same as not returning a value - it sure comes close. And, from a couple of posts I read at this forum, I learnt that a MS SQL procedure can return a value (anyone to confirm that?). Bye Bye criterion1

Then, there are all those functional languages such as LISP, but also XSLT that do not allow a function to have side effects. THis makes sense to me, having one particular construct that says: hey, I'm a genuine mathematical calculation and I do not alter my environment - come here and use that knowledge to optimize the code i'm sitting in. Well, all database products I know allow your function to perform sidefx, so that´s bye bye criterion two.

We could say that a procedure is a kind of thing that does not return a resultset (becoming less convincing i think): to me, that's merely an issue of datatypes. If you have something like Oracle collection types, or MSSQL table datatype or indeed a resultset objecttype there's no objection to a function returning a bunch of records.

And, I said before, I still do not grasp this manner of returning a resultset from a procedure like in MySQL procs, but also in MS SQL (anyone to confirm that?). Wouldnt it be much cleaner to use a variable for that, so that you can look at the declaration and see: Ah, well, here's a proction (well...) that returns a resultset or two?

Anyone on this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2005 01:25PM by Roland Bouman.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.