Hyphen in field for last name
Posted by: jrgonzalez
Date: December 02, 2006 11:16AM

I am using version 5.0.18 and use default character set and collation for USA. I use a hyphen to separate the first last name from the second last name in the lastname field. This is routinely done in Puerto Rico where the father's lastname and the mother's maiden name are both used.
I have found that there are no problems with collation if all the names are hyphenated. If, however, some names are not hyphenated, the collation does not work. Say, if there is a lastname "Smith" and a lastname "Smith-Jones", the collation does not go from "Smith" to "Smith-Jones". It goes from "Smith" to the name that is after all the remaining hyphenated Smith names. It is interesting that adding a single hyphen to the non-hyphenated last names ("Smith-") does not solve the problem. Adding two hyphens ("Smith--") does solve the problem.
I am looking for a better solution than this. I have searched the entire web site and have looked into changing the latin1.xml file in order to make the hyphen a character rather than an operator. It is not clear to me how to do it and whether the solution is worse than the problem.

Jose

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Hyphen in field for last name
December 02, 2006 11:16AM
December 05, 2006 05:08PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.