Re: Memory usage increasing constantly
Posted by: Matteo Porru
Date: May 06, 2014 04:49AM

Hello Rick, thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately the behavior of my system is still very similar.

I have added the indexes as you suggested in order to reduce the full table scans and the slow queries. I still have some but, I expect them to be slow (and thay are intentionally run on background by my app).

About Aborted_clients, this was not an issue since I have restarted the app few times and this leads to abort the clients. This was not done by the app itself, which terminates correctly sessions.

Apart from that, I have noticed that out of 320 query per second, the real queries are around 80. This is because many of the queries carry with them
"SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL XXXXX;" and "SET AUTOCOMMIT XXX". So, basically I think we are counting them in the 320qps.
We could optimize the application to avoid calling this instructions when not necessary, but I think they are irrelevant for this issue, and besides, some of them are done by DBCP (so they are out of our control).

That said, I was reading again your note: "Let's look at a few of the worst queries in the slowlog; with 320qps and such a sign Select_scan value, you may be generating a lot of tmp tables, thereby blowing out RAM.".
I can work in that direction, but, as this is a time consuming work first I want to make sure I'm following the right track.
How can we make sure that the system is generating a lot of tmp tables?
Is the memory allocated for tmp tables released after they get used?

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.