Re: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
Posted by: Ken Allen
Date: November 10, 2004 06:18PM

First, I have 4.1.7 installed under MacOS X, and I do not need the OLD_PASSWORD trick for the mysql app to work -- but this was not the case with older versions of 4.1!

If I want to use mono (C#) and the ByteFX namespace supplied with mono 1.0.4, then I have to resort to the OLD_PASSWORD trick, or I get the same error as mentioned. As soon as I change the password with this trick, then I can establish a connection with the existing ByteFX namespace.

If I attempt to use the 1.1 version of the .Net Connector, then I get the following error:

System.NotSupportedException: Encoding name `latin1' not supported
in <0x003c0> System.Text.Encoding:GetEncoding (string)
in <0x00038> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver:.ctor (MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnectionString)
in <0x00034> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver:.ctor (MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnectionString)
in <0x00044> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver:Create (MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnectionString)
in <0x00124> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool:CreateNewPooledConnection ()
in <0x00374> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool:GetPooledConnection ()
in <0x0006c> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool:GetConnection ()
in <0x001d0> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPoolManager:GetConnection (MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnectionString)
in <0x000a8> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection:Open ()

The code that I used was:

MySqlConnection _Connection;
string database = "Persist Security Info=False;Server=localhost;Database=MyTestDB;User ID=Ken;Password=Allen";

_Connection = new MySqlConnection(database);
_Connection.Open();

-Ken Allen

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
November 10, 2004 06:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.