MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: DATETIME vs. INT(11)?
Posted by: yawnmoth
Date: August 26, 2009 09:23AM

Rick James Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lots of rows --> lots of time to execute.
> Especially if it has to hit the disk.
>
> Functions or no functions -- this is relatively
> insignificant in performance issues.
>
> Consider building a summary table indexed by
> year+month.

In my original post, I did an explain on the table with and without an index. The problem is, some functions break the indexability of an otherwise indexed column. from_unixtime() is one such function. That row A's purchase_date column is greater than row B's purchase_date column does not mean that that row A's from_unixtime(purchase_date,'%m') is going to be greater than row B's from_unixtime(purchase_date,'%m'). For example, 2009-03 > 2008-04, but 03 > 04. As such, although you could perform a binary search on purchase_date if it were indexed, you can't perform a binary search on from_unixtime(purchase_date,'%m'), even if purchase_date is indexed - you have to recalculate everything.

from_unixtime(purchase_date,'%y%m') does not have that same problem, however, is MySQL smart enough to differentiate between from_unixtime() calls that invalidate the index and from_unixtime() calls that don't? And if it is, is it smart enough to see that "GROUP BY from_unixtime(purchase_date,'%y'), from_unixtime(purchase_date, '%m')" and "GROUP BY from_unixtime(purchase_date, '%y%m')" are the same thing?

In contrast, if DATETIME were internally implemented as three columns, such differentiation would be unnecessary. MONTH(purchase_date), in this scenario, could just tell MySQL to look in one of the three columns as opposed to looking in all of them.

You suggested "building a summary table indexed by year+month". I'm not even sure what you mean by that. How is a summary table different from a regular table? And are you proposing year and month be separate columns? If so, that's certainly do'able, but that still ignores the fundamental issue I raised - that DATETIME seems to offer no real advantage over INT(11).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
August 14, 2009 10:00AM
August 15, 2009 03:26PM
August 17, 2009 10:31AM
August 17, 2009 08:04PM
Re: DATETIME vs. INT(11)?
August 26, 2009 09:23AM
August 26, 2009 11:30AM
August 26, 2009 11:55AM
August 26, 2009 11:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.