MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: How long does a query take?
Posted by: Sus Andersson
Date: June 18, 2010 05:46AM

Rick James Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SHOW CREATE TABLE
> Maybe some of the indexes can be removed.
> Maybe you can presort the data to help.
>
> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'innodb_buffer_pool_size';
> That is used for caching; it should be about 70%
> of _available_ RAM.

Hi, many thanks for help! And sorry for being a complete and total idiot newbie...

If I haven´t misunderstood indexes: I didn´t create any indexes except for the primary key. And that one I guess I have to have. So then there are no indexes to remove. Or?

And one of the reasons I am trying to get this xml-file into a database is that I don´t understand how to sort it otherwise... But actually i don´t really need more than about 1/10 of the test.xml file, so it would be a good idea, I guess...

I tried to increase the buffer pool size; it was set to 256M and the computer has 3G of RAM. But I couldn´t make it larger than 1G; if larger I got an error in registrating the InnoDB machine.

And now the query is executing... it has been going on for 2 hrs by now. So I´m back at my first question: how long could I expect it to go on? When should I abort and look for other methods?

Sus

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: How long does a query take?
June 18, 2010 05:46AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.