MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: How to generate new table out two other table?
Posted by: David Kaeser
Date: March 10, 2022 02:59AM

Ok perfect :)

Peter Brawley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All right, that script works. Now please clarify
> ...
>
> 1 Doubles and floats carry rounding errors. Why
> are you not using decimal type instead?

This was not a conscious decision on my part. I imported the data with a python script where the "act_gen_raw" table was created according to the script. This is however very good to know and I will keep that in mind for any further manipulaions. If a conversion for the new table is possible however, I would prefer that. I posted the script I used in here:

https://gitlab.ethz.ch/kaeserd/mysql-data.git

I think however for the time beeing the double type should be sufficient, as I am more interested in numbers with higher orders.

> 2 why is dt.txt a text column rather than a
> timestamp!?

I collected all the unique datetimes the "act_gen_raw" table and stored it there. As I saw that the data type was txt in the original I kept it that way for a better comparison. I would however prefer the data in the new table to be in the corresponding "date" and "time" data type which I have done for the "d" and "t" column. To summarize I thought that it makes sence to do where both data are in txt data. So that I can do this comparison:

where dt.text = act_gen_raw.DateTime

> 3 Your query ...
>
>
> select dt.d as Date, dt.t as Time,
> act_gen_raw.ActualGenerationOutput from
> plant_information
> inner join act_gen_raw on
> plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName =
> act_gen_raw.PowerSystemResourceName
> inner join dt on dt.txt = act_gen_raw.`DateTime`
> order by act_gen_raw.`DateTime`
>
>
> ... returns zero rows from this dataset because no
> rows match on either join. You'll need to rethink
> the WHERE clauses of the dumps.

Ok I see the problem. However I am not quite sure how to solve it using sql syntax... In my mind I need to solve something similiar like this pseudocode:

FOR row x in plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName :
(select dt.d as Date, dt.t as Time,
act_gen_raw.ActualGenerationOutput from
plant_information
Where x = act_gen_raw.PowerSystemResourceName &&
where act_gen_raw.DateTime in dt.txt)

However I am aware that loops are generally not a good idea in sql... So that is also kind of the reason why I am stuck...

> 4 Once you've done that, you'll need to specify
> exactly what result this query should produce from
> the dataset.

I want to produce the following table:

dt.d [date]| dt.t [time] | power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_1 [double]| power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_2 [double]| power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_3 [double]| ..|power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_LAST_ROW [double]

Where power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_1 and so on correspondend to the each name listed if you run:

SELECT PowerSystemResourceName
FROM `power_plants_raw`.`plant_information`;

My [] correspond to the data type I wish to have in the columns. As already stated in 1) for the data type double a conversion which is most sensible I would do here.

Each data in the collumns of power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_X should correspond to the data in act_gen_raw.ActualGenerationOutput where act_gen_raw.PowerSystemResourceName matches power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_X. For each row in the new table the date from act_gen_raw.DateTime should match one of the dates stored in dt.

So in the end I would like to have a table such the header is:

Date [txt]| Time [txt]| power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_1 [txt]| power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_2 [txt]| power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_3 [txt]| ..|power_plants_raw.plant_information.PowerSystemResourceName.ROW_LAST_ROW [txt]

and the rows are:

dt.d [Date] | dt.t [Time] | act_gen_raw.ActualGenerationOutput [double] | ... | act_gen_raw.ActualGenerationOutput [double]

where each entry for act_gen_raw.ActualGenerationOutput correspond to the specific date and act_gen_raw.PowerSystemResourceName in this row and column respectively.In the end it should look similiar to this:

Date Time Stalon G1 Miranda - G3 CSP_GT1
2017-08-05 12:00:00 118.9 21.4 59.4
2014-12-06 23:00:00 119.5 50 29.2
2017-08-05 12:15:00 120.5 0 0.1

I hope this clarifies a bit my goal. I would also like to thank you again for all your time :) I really appreciate it :D

best,
David

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.