MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: where is it and how to move it
Posted by: Barry Galbraith
Date: November 20, 2022 06:18PM

Do I really need to make a NEW folder? Can I just MOVE the existing folder
By making a new folder, granting privileges on that folder, and copying the existing data folder to the new location, you are not removing your opportunity to go back if the move goes pear shaped. I like to keep a lifeboat handy.

To summarize, my best best is to
1. keep the database where it is
2. open port 3306 on my win11 machine so my win10 machine can access it.
3. create a win10_user on my win11 machine for mysql
4. Continue to use MySQL Workbench, installed separately on each machine, to query the database.

That's what I would be doing.

On your "local network" your machines will be using ip addresses in the range 10.0.0.0/24 or 192.168.0.0/24. These are reserved "private" network addresses not used on the public internet.
Your machines on your network communicate with each other using these addresses. The Win11 machine with MySQL on it will need it's port 3306 opened in the firewall on that machine so that the Win10 machine can see it.

On your Win11 machine, you will need to use Workbench to create a MySQL user for your Win10 machine (and any other machine on your network).
You will need to find the private address range for your network. Maybe in the Admin of your internet modem.

Open Workbench. Go to Users and Privileges.
Select Add Account.
Fill in the Login Name <myuser>
Authentication Type <standard>
Limit to hosts matching 192.168.0.% <use your local network range here>
Password <secret_password>
Confirm Password <secret_password>

Then click on the Schema Privileges tab.
Click on "Add Entry..." button.
Select the schema (database) you want the user to access.
Then select the privileges you want that user to have "SELECT, UPDATE, ALTER, DELETE ... etc".
Apply your changes.

Now, move to your Win10 Machine.
Start Workbench.
Go to Database | Manage Connections.
This is where you tell Workbench that the MySQL server is on the Win11 machine.
You use the ip address, or the host name (LorettasPC), and port 3306 (that you opened in the Win11 firewall), the username and password that you just granted in MySQL on the Win 11 machine.
When you test the connection, it should all work, fingers crossed.
Once you save the connection, you should be able to open that connection and browse your database. :)

See how you go.

Good luck,
Barry.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: where is it and how to move it
November 20, 2022 06:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.