MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

New Database from Excel Data
Posted by: Jade Reynolds
Date: January 23, 2023 05:17PM

Hi

I have been asked by a client/friend to create a database using data from a large set of excel data, and Im looking for some advice on how to design the db appropriately. The end goal from this is to connect PowerBI to the MySQL database to create a custom dashboard.

Background:
My Client does vehicle inspections, and there is 1 excel workbook for each vehicle that is inspected. all the data from the inspection worksheet, is copied out (via vba) to a summary page, this simplifies the data, to prepare for db import.

The data is made up of the following

Customer name
Depot name
Inspector name
date of inspection
various test results, (13 columns, 1 for each test type)
defects found (this is a list of defects, made up of 4 columns, with different refernce numbers and severity type data.

So my thinking (and im relateively new to Dbs) is to have the following tables

Customer Table
Depot Table
Inspectors Table
Test Results table
Defects Table

What I am unsure about is how is this all linked together, so for example, if i want to see all defects, for customer A, on Date x how are the tables able to refernce each other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this and some guidance on how i should design the db

Many Thanks in advance

Jade

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
New Database from Excel Data
January 23, 2023 05:17PM
January 24, 2023 03:03AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.