MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Cannot connect to database server
Posted by: Alistair Leech
Date: December 12, 2023 03:32AM

Hi I am new to mysql and I want to learn some code. I installed mysql community workbench on linux mint victoria with snapd and then I installed mysql client and server with the software centre. I can see a database in mysql workbench : Local instance 3306 : root : localhost:3306. When I click on it I get the following message:

Your connection attempt failed for user 'root' to the Mysql server at localhost:3306:

Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'

Please:
1 Check that Mysql is running on address localhost
2 Check that Mysql is reachable on port 3306(note: 3306 is the default, but this can be changed)
3 Check the user root has rights to connect to localhost from your address(Mysql rights define what clients can connect to the server and from which machines)
4 Make sure you are both providing a password if needed and using the correct password for localhost connecting from the host address you are connecting from

Can someone show me how to carry out these checks so I can connect to the database and practice some code?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Cannot connect to database server
December 12, 2023 03:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.